Monday, November 08, 2010

The Great Holiday Gift Wrapping Dilemma



It's that time of year again.  These are the days when I become obsessed over my holiday packaging.  This is the big question I've never been able to answer.(Much like the chicken and egg question)  When you order a gift, either from me or another handmade maker, do you open the package if it's wrapped to see your item, or do you leave it wrapped until it's time to give the gift?

All through the year I send out my packages wrapped in brown Kraft paper and white string. I've always liked this look especially for the journals; it feels nostalgic and just seems right. But the Holidays are a different story. I like to be a little more festive since I know so many of these journals and accessories will be for gift giving.  This will be my 3rd Holiday season in business and I've never been able to put a rest to this mystery.

The first year I sent out all my journals in drawstring muslin bags. These were extra nice.... but costly!  I would have liked to continue these, but in the end thought it just wouldn't be sustainable in the long run.  Last year I just used the brown paper and red string, or some nicely colored yarn.  I know, I know, you're thinking, "How imaginative, Julie."  Well, I knew I was going to be the featured seller on Etsy for a few days in December so that was my focus last year, so I didn't obsess as much about packaging.  As long as the journals were made to the best of my ability and they were wrapped in something, I was happy.

 
Now this year is different.  I started obsessing earlier and found this lovely Baker's Twine in red, cream and white.  I think it looks so nice with the brown paper and is just the right thing for the upcoming holidays.  As of this week I'm officially ending my yearly Holiday Gift Wrapping dilemma. The choice is really yours whether to leave the wrapping intact until you give the gift, or to gleefully unwrap the package as soon as it arrives on your doorstep. I know what I would do....... Never has a package arrived at my door without me tearing it open to see what's inside. (even if it's not mine... I know, I know...)  It's not a matter of trust for me; I'm very confident of the quality of the products I order. I just can never resist the temptation! Here's what you'll see when you open up that USPS Flat Rate Box from J. J. Boyles this season


I hope you'll like it!  It's earth friendly, cost effective, and good lookin'.  Really when it comes down to it, it's what's inside that wrapping that matters the most. Right?

Coming this week: Special Edition 2011 One Year Leather Diaries, and oh my are they special.  I can't wait to show you!   Stay tuned......

2 comments:

Charissa said...

That is a lovely combination. I brainstormed packaging ideas w/ a friend with an Etsy shop but realized that I stink at thinking of a simple, repeatable gift wrapping idea. I love to wrap gifts but it's just not my strength!

Good for you for finding a look that you like and that is easy on your business budget!

Kim said...

I love your idea of changing up at the holiday times, adding this extra bit of color is all it needed to speak of the holidays. Great brain storming.