Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day


I will be putting up photos of the Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat musical in a few days, but I couldn't let this day go by without saying something about Veteran's Day.

As this day rolls around each year I always think of my Great Uncle Joe Brookhart who served in WWII. At my Great Grandparents house there were multi colored stones embedded in the concrete beside the garage with his name and the year he went to war. I was little so the explanations as to why those stones were there went right over my head. I never heard him speak of his experiences during the war until later in his life. I still marvel at the courage that he had at such a young age...... He was the one to give me my nickname, JJ. I miss him.

I also think of my wonderful husband Benny. He has served for 24 years in the Indiana National Guard and retired 2 years ago.
He spent time in an Artillery Unit, Recruiting, and a Finance Unit. This career has meant so much to him, and is such an integral part of who he is that it's hard to imagine the kind of man he would have been had he not signed up as soon as he was 18. When we first married, I didn't really know much about military life, or the impact it would have on us throughout our marriage. I know now. Words really can't do justice to what I think of this accomplishment of his..... Simply put, I'm proud of him.

I also think of several friends we have that are now deployed in Afghanistan and around the world on missions unlike any we have seen in history. We miss them, and hope they are safe.

My heart and prayers go out to the soldiers at Fort Hood, and their families, and to all the men and women that are serving our country all over the world. Tonight when I lay down my head to sleep, I will remember them, and remember that we are free because of what they do everyday.

It doesn't seem like nearly enough, but from my heart.... Thank You!

No comments: