Thursday, June 18, 2009



What's that you say, "No blog posts since March?"
Well all I can say for myself is that like most things in my life, I'm just hit and miss. I get going on one project then skip from one thing to the next leaving a trail of unfinished, not updated things in my wake. As always, I'll try to be better at posting more often. Now, on to better things...

One week ago today was a pretty tough one here at the Boyles homestead. Oh, it was nothing that serious, just one of those early summer days that starts out great then goes downhill as it progresses. I had made a couple of big blunders that impacted the whole family and made for some pretty ugly inconveniences for all of us. By that evening, I was ready for the whole day to be over. Keep in mind that the first week that school is out for the summer is always challenging. The kids fight over everything, I'm not used to them being home and wanting my attention every waking minute, it's just a whole mess of trying to get re-adjusted to each other.

So when Mr Boyles came home and said, "JJ, you've got to come outside and see this," my first thought was, "oh great, now what!" I dragged myself outside to the front porch to see what was so important. Well, the night before, we (he) had divided up our Morning Glory plants and tied strings to the pillars where they are supposed to be climbing. I knew they were ready to start vining and needed the strings, but I didn't know it would be that soon! There they were, little tiny vines, timidly making their way up the strings. That was surely a good sign our (his) efforts were worthwhile. AND, as if that wasn't enough, I turned around to check on the other plants we're growing and immediately saw this-




In that instant, the whole rotten day was transformed! (Actually my first thought was to hurry and get the camera before this lovely sight disappeared!) We called all the kids out to see it, because who wants to miss a Rainbow! After sufficient ooohs and aaahs everyone went back inside, but I stayed out for a little longer. As special as a rainbow is, this one was definitely more significant for me than other ones in recent memory. To me, it was my very own personal reminder that the Lord was watching over us through our whole crazy day. Really I had known that all along, but to have a tangible reminder was.... well, I can't really put it into words. Whenever I see a rainbow, I'm always reminded of Noah,

"And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come. I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth"
Genesis 1:12-16

What a beautiful display of His love and Grace! So now when the days get rough, or I have another big blunder (I'm certain there will be more!) I'm going to look at this photo I've put up on my wall and tell myself, "It's only money," or "the kids won't grow into adulthood fighting like this." I'll be gently reminded that The Lord is always with me, no matter what.

Have a great Thursday!
Julie

No comments: